Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Final Result

Well another term, another capstone. And although it didn't turn out exactly as it expected, it turned out well to my surprise despite the short not being finished. As a matter of fact, I believe this project to be the most successful.

To recap from last post, my project was to make a flash animated short about a meeting between a witch and a mafia associate.

My programs for this project was a combination of flash for animation and Maya for background reference. The project was animated in 30 frames per second at a resolution of 1920 x 1280 pixels which is larger and than the standard document which I did to create a better quality.  My animation techniques consisted of using a balance both frame-by-frame and motion-tweening to not only save a little time bit.

Now despite that my schedule wasn't really followed through, this certainly was a most rewarding time for me. My original intentions for this project in the first place was to finish this short. Unfortunately, this didn't get finished BUT there was something a little more important that I learned when working on this project; having fun and just keep on drawing.

For the past year, I've been a little rut and trying to find a way to enjoy my work again. It was only after recently completing my portfolio for the fall term, did I start to become more comfortable with my art. And because of this, when I went to work on the animated short, my attitude to my project shifted from what seemed to be an obligation when I started on the storyboards last year, to something that I enjoy and have fun with now.This is seems actually more important than getting this done because I'm putting more love and care into my work. Not only that, but it makes me even more persistent and determined to finish it. So even after the term is ended, I will still be working on this until it's done.

What I'm most disappointed (which I'm only a little bit) out of the project is that it still isn't finished and it will still take a while for it to be finished. I feel like that I was worrying too much about the schedule that a little bit of my animation gotten a bit stiff and my perfectionism was still lingering a tiny bit. I noticed this when taking a little break one day to do a little rough animation and compared the two. Although my short was more polished and smooth, my rough animation seemed to have more life in it and took less time to make. Not only that but the rough animation had less frames and animated at a frame rate of 24 instead of 30.

This little tidbit gave out a grand realization for myself that more frames does not guarantee great animation or the best quality. The next time I make another short, I'll be taking more consideration on frames per sec and try to not to think too much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment